The Baltic Exchange
In 1900 The Baltic was a special Exchange where cereals, timber, and Russian produce were dealt with on a vast scale.
The old South Sea House, which had been the Excise Office, was burned down in 1826.
In 1855-6, the newer building with frontage to Threadneedle Street was sold for £55,700, and became the business premises of the Baltic, whose merchants had previously conducted their affairs at the Baltic Coffee House, in Sweeting’s Rents, until that thoroughfare was swept away for the rebuilding of the Royal Exchange, when the Baltic was removed to Threadneedle Street.
It was at the height of its reputation about 1840, when Mr. Richard Thornton and Jeremiah Harman were the monarchs of the trade.
By 1900 the Baltic had sold their premises, which were completely demolished, to the British Linen Company Bank at a price which yielded to the owners of £100 stock (which cost originally but £50), no less a sum than £750.
The Baltic was now temporarily housed in the Great Eastern Railway buildings, until their new Exchange, which would take two years to complete, was ready for them in Jeffrey Square, St. Mary Axe.